The Sanctuary of Our Lady of Montallegro near Rapallo (Italy).
The basilica sanctuary of Our Lady of Montallegro is a Catholic place of worship located in the hamlet of Montallegro in the municipality of Rapallo, in the metropolitan city of Genoa. The building is located on top of a hill at about 612 m a.s.l. and is considered among the main Marian sanctuaries of the Genoese metropolitan territory and of Liguria, it was built by the Rapallo population between 1557 and 1558, together with the annexed shelter for pilgrims, after the apparition of the Virgin Mary occurred, according to tradition, the 2 July 1557 to the peasant Giovanni Chichizola.
The inclined lift allows the Sanctuary to be reached from the car park, accessible from the main road or the Rapallo-Montallegro funicular railway station, allowing easier and faster access to all visitors, especially those suffering from mobility impairment or disabilities.
The installation is characterised by an open shaft, so the materials used are suitable for outdoor environments close to the sea.
The inclined lift has a capacity of 1125 kg for a maximum of 15 people, a 38 metres run with a 54.40° inclination at a speed of 1 m/s, and it has a total of 3 stops with 3 opposite services.
The cabin dimensions are 1500×1800 mm with double access and telescopic doors with 900 mm clear opening to allow wheelchair access.
Both cabin and landing doors are glass-framed to minimise the visual impact on the surroundings and at the same time provide maximum comfort for passengers who can also enjoy the amazing view.