The complex of buildings of what was once the FIAT factory of the Lingotto was inaugurated on May 22, 1923 to be completed in 1930. Once production was discontinued in favor of more modern and functional factories, in 1985 it was entrusted to the Genoese architect Renzo Piano and to his studio Renzo Piano Building Workshop the task of the renovation. Inside the former complex there are in addition to the hotel, the exhibition halls, shopping center, restaurants and the Pinacoteca Agnelli.
To access the Agnelli Art Gallery, two panoramic lifts were built, which are partly located outside the building.
Both lifts have 6 stops and a capacity of 630 kg, the cabins are completely in extra clear glass on all sides and the roof of the cabin.
The cabin and landing doors are also completely in extra clear glass.
The extra clear glass cladding of the lift shafts is fixed with rotules in order to allow the largest possible glazed surface and with it therefore a great panoramic effect.